Thursday 15 November 2012

McCall's 1973 & Vintage Sash

  
McCall's Magazine September 1973 
{I can't remember where I found this...online }
This is so cute! I love a blast from the past any day.  Dig those shoes , knee socks, tunic, and turtle neck!  {I remember wearing knee socks with my shorts in the 1970s!} Such a sharp Uniform...and lots of options for the Girl Scouts.  

There is just something about artwork from the 70's that I love.  I can just imagine how happy little girls were to see this paper doll set in a magazine.. I would have cut that baby out and slapped it on a piece cereal box cardboard asap! {back in my childhood we did not have access to much from the art dept...it was imagination and make do all the way...maybe that is why I love art as an adult}.  

This badge sash that I own looks like the one in the McCall's magazine.

I found this badge sash at an Antique/Used Bookstore a few summers ago.  {This is not a good photo sorry!}  It says Lake View...and the 373 is the Troop number.  Not sure about the other pins and badges though.  Here are some closer views with descriptions... 


The red pin says " Be Prepared" in gold letters and has a green trefoil on a gold  background in the center...the red looks like it may represent the tie perhaps..and there is a stamped "R" on the back.  The yellow flower looks like a Daffodil Patrol Emblem. 


Above we see gold wings, five brass coloured stars {one is backed with a round piece of white plastic...I'm guessing to signify senior year or patrol leader perhaps?}... a Trefoil Pin which is brass coloured with a purplish blue coloured background {it appears royal blue on this screen but it is not...and on the back of this pin is a stamped "R"} The green and white pin says "Girl Scouts of the USA 1912-1962" with a "50" in the center of a trefoil {there's a stamped image on the back but I can't identify it}

All of the badges appear to be hand sewn by the owner of the sash perhaps?.  I will attempt to guess the names of the bagdes but I am not sure of the proper names.  The top left looks like an artist palette with brushes so probably "Artist"...the top right side looks like five books with bookends so most likely "Reader"...the second row to the left looks like a Milk jug/mixing bowl/red jar so most likely "Baker" or "Cooking"...the same row to the right appears to be an outdoor fireplace so most likely "Outdoor Cook"...the third row to the left is three ABC blocks so I would say this is "Child Care"...the same row to the right looks like a girl scout on a flying carpet with a blue sky/clouds and green land so this could be anyones guess! {Traveller?Story teller?} The bottom badge is a dog and cat with a food dish so must be "Pet Care".  The badges are cloth with an embroidered edge and very thin compared to modern badges.  The sash appears to be handmade by a home sewing machine.  


It would be interesting to know how this Badge Sash ended up here in Canada and made it's way into my collection!  If the pins are any indication of it's age then it would be 50 years old this year!  If you know anything about this sash or its insignia please leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment